Skoler, Abbott & Presser, P.C., the leading labor and employment law firm serving employers in the greater Springfield area, invites business owners, managers and human resource professionals to an informative webinar outlining ways to fight back against leave of absence fraud and abuse. This opportunity is timely on the heels of a report conducted by TSheets, a time management software provider, that shows wage and hour lawsuits have increased 450 percent over the past 20 years. That same report found 75 percent of suits initiated by the U.S. Department of Labor against employers resulted in financial payouts to employees.
The webinar will be hosted Wednesday, February 15 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. EST and hosted by Attorney John S. Gannon of Springfield-based Skoler, Abbott & Presser, P.C., a boutique firm that exclusively practices labor and employment law.
“Recently, there has been an excess of FMLA-related lawsuits,” said Attorney Gannon. “The jump coincides with an increased number of FMLA leave requests, which is likely due to increased awareness about the law. Employers must comply with the law but also be vigilant to signs of fraud and FMLA abuse.”
Attorney Gannon will discuss:
- Keys to identifying FMLA abuse including patterns of time off requested
- How to lawfully use surveillance and social media to investigate suspicious FMLA use
- New laws and regulations from federal or state agencies that may affect FMLA monitoring
- How much time is enough time to establish a pattern of abuse
- The importance of training frontline supervisors on FMLA policies
- When to get a second opinion to determine whether the employee/family member has a serious health condition
- Once an employee is certified for FMLA, when is it legally acceptable to require certification
- Call-in policies and procedures as a means to control intermittent leave
- The importance of requiring notice before time off
- Keeping communication open with employees using FMLA – and much more
Those interested in registering for the course can do so online at store.blr.com/fmla-abuse-021517.
Attorney John S. Gannon has defended employers against claims of discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination claims, as well as actions arising under the Family Medical Leave Act and wage and hour law. He also has experience with lawsuits seeking to enforce restrictive covenants and protect trade secrets. Attorney Gannon frequently assists employers in litigation avoidance strategies. He regularly counsels employers on compliance with state and federal laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, and Occupational Health and Safety Act.
In addition, Attorney Gannon is a regular contributor to business publications and to the Massachusetts Employment Law Letter. He is also a frequent speaker on employment-related legal topics for a wide variety of associations and organizations, including appearances on Western Mass News and the Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly podcast sessions.