Attorney Timothy F. Murphy is the only son of Thomas and Kathleen Murphy, who emigrated to western Massachusetts from Ireland in the 1950s. His parents imbued in Tim and his three sisters the importance and dignity of putting in an honest day’s work.
Family gatherings with the Murphys were marked by lively debates about politics and current events. Tim and his sisters learned at an early age to passionately express and defend their opinions and positions: a skill Tim uses today on behalf of clients, in labor negotiations, arbitrations, and in the region’s courtrooms. Two of Tim’s sisters also became lawyers. Fortunately, for Murphy family dynamics, none of them have crossed professional paths.
What I bring to bear for clients is a combination of problem-solving skills, attitude, and experience with the focus always on resolving the problem so that my client can concentrate on what it does best. Of course, the best way to solve a problem is to prevent it in the first place. When that is not possible, you work the problem until you obtain the outcome that is closely aligned with the client’s core principles, goals, and interests.
Tim is very active in his community. He sits on boards of directors for a number of area organizations such as the Springfield Regional Chamber of Commerce and Community Legal Aid. He also is a member of the Finance Committee in Wilbraham where he lives.
Tim has been selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America since 2013. In 2015 and 2018, he was honored as the Lawyer of the Year for Litigation – Labor and Employment by Best Lawyers in America.
- Connecticut, 2001
- Massachusetts, 1990
- United States District Court, Massachusetts, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2003
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Springfield Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Legislative Steering Committee of Affiliated Chambers of Commerce of Greater Springfield
- Member, Hampden County Bar Association
- Member, Labor Lawyers Advisory Committee for CUE
- J.D., Western New England University School of Law, Springfield, Massachusetts, 1990
- B.A., magna cum laude, American International College, Springfield, Massachusetts, 1986
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2005-2006
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013-present
- Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Labor and Employment, Best Lawyers in America, 2015 and 2018
Professional Activities/Community Involvement
- Springfield Regional Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Member, World Affairs Council
- Community Legal Aid, Board of Directors
- Town of Wilbraham Finance Committee
- Frequent contributor to business and human resource publications
- Contributing author to the Massachusetts Employment Law Letter
- Contributing Editor to the Developing Labor Law treatise
- “Unionized Massachusetts firefighters extinguish town’s insurance changes,” Massachusetts Employment Law Letter, January 2015, and HR.BLR.com, February 2015, available at https://hr.blr.com/HR-news/Benefits-Leave/Healthcare-Insurance/Unionized-Massachusetts-firefighters-nix-changes-i
- Employment Law, Western New England University (2000-2005)
- Frequent speaker on employment-related legal topics for a wide variety of associations and organizations